Sunday, October 3, 2010

Terri L. French - Three Questions

Terri L. French is a poet/writer, Licensed Massage Therapist, and Barista living in Huntsville, Alabama. She and her husband have a blended family of four children and three cats. Terri finds her haiku in the crooks, crannies, and corners of her everyday world experiences. She is a member of the Southeast Region of the Haiku Society of America, the Alabama Writer's Conclave and the Coffee Tree Writer's Group. Terri's poems have appeared in Lilliput Review, The Heron's Nest, haikuworld, and Sketchbook.




1) Why do you write haiku?

I come from a journalistic background and think like an editor. I am not one for circuitous language, so haiku works for me.

Also, I spent many years sitting in a church pew looking for God, with not much success. I find I feel closer to my maker in nature and have found more truth in haiku than in most sermons.

2) What other poetic forms do you enjoy?

I write prose and I'm just beginning to pair prose and haiku into haibun. I also work with my husband to pair some of our photos with haiku to create haiga. In the future I would like to learn sumi-e to accompany my haiku.

3) Of the many wonderful haiku you've written, what do you consider to be your top three? (Please provide original publication credits.)

I'm sure I have yet to write my top three, but here are three that I like.


a spot of blood
on the unfinished quilt--
harvest moon

(Sketchbook, Sept/Oct, 2009)



the child
blowing on the pinwheel
the wind blowing on her

(The Heron's Nest, June 2009)



catching tadpoles
this summer he wades
d
e
e
p
e
r

(from my book, A Ladybug on My Words)



If you've been enjoying this weekly series and have not contributed, please consider sharing your response (whether it be for haiku or tanka) to the three little questions that Terri answered. You must be a published poet to participate.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you Terri. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Unknown said...

It was a pleasure to meet Terri at the Cradle of American Haiku Conference in Mineral Point, Wisconsin this September. Her book, A LADYBUG ON MY WORDS includes so many outstanding haiku. So good to see you on Three Questions too!

randy b

Terri L. French said...

thank you Ellen and Randy! For those interested my book can be found on Amazon.com!

Anonymous said...

Terri,

Enjoy seeing insight into your haiku and what draws you to the form. I feel your answer to "why" explains a lot about your work.

I remember the pinwheel haiku now that I'm seeing it again. So cute, and shows the connection among all things.

Aubrie

Laurie Kolp said...

Terri~ I always enjoy seeing your work, my friend. I'm so honored to be part of BD with you!

snowbird said...

Terri, I felt the needle prick in your quilt haiu...wonderful haiku.
You have a natural way of entering the "karumi" of haiku... very nice.
Merrill

Area 17 said...

Hi Terri,

"I am not one for circuitous language, so haiku works for me."

This is what I like in haiku, and what I found in this haiku:

the child
blowing on the pinwheel
the wind blowing on her


(The Heron's Nest, June 2009)

I'm immediately there, as if it's happening right in front of me.

It's not just powerful immediacy, and carries vivicity, it shows simply and effectively how the short issue of haiku can deliver time after time.

all my very best

Alan
2010 With Words Haiku Competition: weblink
.

Terri L. French said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am honored and humbled. Poetry and particularly haiku has introduced me to some wonderful writers and artists both in the virtual and "real" world. There are haiku moments everywhere and if I am allowed to capture one occasionally then I feel truly blessed.