Friday, October 1, 2010

Sad News - Art Stein

I received this message from Stanford M. Forrester:

Hi All:

I just got a phone message from Vincent Tripi that Art Stein passed away this morning 9/30/2010. Vince asked me to let the hsa and others know. I know he has not been well for awhile and this was not unexpected. I don't have the details at this point, but will pass them on when I know. I'll be out of town for a couple of days, but I bet if one of you google for his obituary which will probably be out soon you'll have more info. He lived in Northfield, MA.

I'm sorry to be the messenger of such news.
Stanford

http://www.bottlerocketspress.com/

So far, this is the only obituary I've been able to find of Art. I'm sure web sites with more details are being written.

In the meantime, here are a few poems from his book blonde, red Mustang.

Stanford sent this photo of Art Stein:

4 comments:

Michael Dylan Welch said...

I'm sorry I never got to meet Art, although I did get to talk with him on the phone a couple of times. He was one of those poets whose poetry made me wish I could meet him, wish I knew him as a friend. My condolences to his family and to those who knew him.

P K Padhy said...

I have read some his poems, full of enchanting beauty.Poetry world has lost an iconic personalty of literature. His tryst with poetic expression and excellence will continue to cherish all of us.My deep condolences to his his bereaved family.

P K Padhy, India

snowbird said...

The last time I saw Art he was giving a long reading at Haiku Circle. He was totally exhausted after the reading, but determined to live that day to it's fullest...bearly four months ago in June. You find that determination in his poetry...

Adelaide said...

My condolences to Art Stein's family. I have enjoyed reading his work.

Adelaide B. Shaw