Friday, April 25, 2008

Jeffrey Woodward - Three Questions

Haibun Today editor, Jeffrey Woodward, drops by Tobacco Road this week to share his response to Haiku - Three Questions.



1. Why do you write haiku?

I suffer from graphomania and am advised that there is no cure. Which is also why I write the haibun wherein many of my haiku are housed.

2. What other poetic forms do you enjoy?

All other poetic forms, verse or prose. I find, in every instance, that my pleasure in reading is increased by perceptible form and meaning. I try to practice moderation but am powerless before this vice.

3. Of the many wonderful haiku you've written, what do you consider to be your top three?


only after my shadow
into the deep summer
of a grove's recess

Nisqually Delta Review, May 2007


for the marionette
deprived of its falsetto,
a dream of dancing

Lynx, June 2007


single-mindedly
rubbing a whetstone away —
cicadas at dusk

Contemporary Haibun Online, September 2007



Next week, Peggy Willis Lyles.

No comments: