Sunday, May 16, 2010

Susan Delphine Delaney - Three Questions (Tanka)

Susan Delphine Delaney MD, MS is a psychiatrist practicing in Plano, Texas. Her therapy dog, Gabriella, assists. Susan has been writing small poems since 1968 when a friend gave her a book with the poems of Basho and Issa. Her haiku and senryu have been published in 19 different haiku journals, books and anthologies. Her tanka have appeared in Lynx, American Tanka, Firepearls and Atlas Poetica. Susan is the founding Vice President of the Fort Worth Haiku Society and founded the Haiku Poets of North Texas.



1) Why do you write tanka?

I really never planned to write tanka, as I considered learning to write good haiku a persuit that could last a lifetime. Nonetheless, I published a tanka now and then in Lynx and American Tanka. Then my e-friend M. Kei asked me to write some tanka for Firepearls. Then I was invited to send some to Atlas Poetica.

I believe that some nature moments and some relationship moments fit the tanka form better, as the length of a tanka allows a bigger 'setup' of the situation than a simple kigo could ever provide.

2) What other poetic forms do you enjoy?

Haiku, senryu and free verse. I am particularly fond of renga and have written e-renga with poets from all over the world.

3) Of the many wonderful tanka you've written, what do you consider to be your top three?


sixty years later
still the same
poison ivy vine
clinging to the faucet
near my brother's grave



hugging
a load of knits
warm from the dryer
remembering a baby
now grown



again and again
watching
the breakup of Columbia
through budding branches
of sweet gum




If you've been enjoying this weekly series and have not contributed, please consider sharing your response (whether it be for haiku or tanka) to the three little questions that Susan answered. You must be a published poet to participate.