Sunday, October 26, 2008

Hortensia Anderson - Three Questions

Hortensia Anderson lives on the lower east side of New York City. She is the author of numerous chapbooks as well as a volume of poetry, Trust (fly-by night press, 1995). She is interested in the function of the Internet on poetry in the 21st century. Her current passion is renga and other forms of collaborative poetry.

She has been on dialysis since 1981.




1. Why do you write haiku?

For you.

I can remember Zen Master Seung Sahn answering the question "Why do you sit?" with those two words. I gave his response an unspoken one word - "jerk". It took me decades to grasp his meaning.

Originally, I wrote haiku as poetic reminders of "epiphanies" for me. As I kept studying haiku, I realised the finest haiku re-created the "epiphanies" in the reader.

So, to answer your question again:

For you.


2. What other poetic forms do you enjoy?

I don't consider haiku a "form".


3. Of the many wonderful haiku you've written, what do you consider to be your top three? (Please provide original publication credit).



spring thaw —
the stream parts to embrace
the stone

Mainichi - Best of 2002



midnight swim —
we glide through the galaxy
naked

5th Annual Suruga-Baika Winner



moonlit night —
the pond floats
a water-lily



I consider this my absolute favourite. I can't provide original publication credit as it has been repeatedly rejected. I don't care. I love it.



Charlie Smith will be our Haiku - Three Questions guest next week.