Sunday, June 6, 2010

Anne Curran - Three Questions

Anne Curran is a Hamiltonian, New Zealander. She began writing haiku during the summer of 2009. Before that she was writing other forms of short verse. She lived in Japan for two years and enjoys many aspects of the Japanese aesthetic. Anne studied English and Communications at the University of Waikato, Hamilton. Her writing is inspired by the Hamilton landscape,and people. Hamilton is home to many wonderful artists. I have been encouraged by teachers
and family to write.



1) Why do you write haiku?

I started to write haiku during my summer holidays in New Zealand. I found it relaxing to sit down and produce haiku. This form also appealed to me because of its Japanese origins. I lived in Japan for two years in my twenties and found many aspects of the Japanese aesthetic coherent and peaceful. Perhaps then the haiku spirit is something I may have experienced and like to experience in my own life. I have gone on a haiku journey over the last five months. I started to write them possibly breaking all the rules and then with the guidance of a generous editor started to slowly integrate some of her advice into my work. I write about topics pertaining to my everyday urban life, local nature walks, and relationships. In the course of this learning curve I have really started to work on my editing processes as therein lies the challenge. I like the idea of haiku as an art form, the responses that a haiku might fetch from its readers, for example the questions it might raise, or the swallow of recognition.

2) What other poetic forms do you enjoy?

I enjoy haibun. I also enjoy longer poetic forms and have done some writing of this kind of poetry myself. I particularly enjoy poems about landscape and animals. Two of my favourite American poets are Robert Frost and Robinson Jeffers. Two of my favourite New Zealand poets are Adrienne Jansen and Anna Jackson. The poem of Adrienne’s that I most enjoy is titled ‘The Rain and the Spade’. Anna’s poem that I most enjoy is titled, ‘Hen of Tiredness’.

3) Of the many wonderful haiku you've written what do you consider to be your top three?


arms flung over a pool rung
a ripple wakes the surface
gossip between friends

Kokako 12, April 2010



as she turns to leave
my mother’s
girlish smile

Valley Micropress, June, 2010



beside the lake
a smiling tabby
bites a baby’s finger

(unpublished)



If you've been enjoying this weekly series and have not contributed, please consider sharing your response (whether it be for haiku or tanka) to the three little questions that Anne answered. You must be a published poet to participate.

1 comment:

Area 17 said...

Hi Anne,

Enjoyed where you said "the swallow of recognition."

Looking forward to more and more of your haiku. ;-)

Alan