Sunday, April 11, 2010

Nora Wood - Three Questions

Nora Wood grew up near the Tetons in Wyoming. She is a writer and poet living in Atlanta, Georgia with her two daughters. She took up haiku-writing in 2007 as a discipline and creative outlet. Nora's poems have been published in The Heron's Nest, Frogpond, Simply Haiku, Magnapoets, contemporary haibun online, and more. She is the first runner-up for The Heron’s Nest 2009 Reader’s Choice Poet of the Year. You can find her blog at haikuaday.blogspot.com.



1) Why do you write haiku?

Like many haijin, I can’t not write haiku. A few years ago, wanting to follow the dictum that to be a writer, you must write every day, I decided on blogging a daily haiku. I love Japanese culture, and it seemed like a manageable commitment. Of course, those first 5-7-5 verses were not what we’d consider haiku, but it put me on this path. I am fortunate to have had the support of experienced mentors who welcomed and guided me. Though I do not write a daily haiku any more, the years I did instilled in me the quiet awareness of haiku mind.

2) What other poetic forms do you enjoy?

I am a huge fan of Richard Wilbur’s in general, and specifically his poems that follow the traditional haiku syllabic form. He is such an artful master of any form. I have written poems in various forms, including free-verse, though my focus these days is on haiku. As I have begun experimenting with haibun, I find it another interesting and therapeutic challenge I want to explore more.

3) Of the many wonderful haiku you’ve written, what do you consider to be your top three?



morning star
the newborn's fontanel
pulses softly

Frogpond 32.2 • 2009



winter sky
a skein of wild birds
unravels



graveside
my breasts
leaking

The Heron's Nest Volume XI, Number 1: March, 2009


Thank you very much for the honor of participating, Curtis, and for this invaluable service you provide the haiku community.

Regards,

Nora



If you've been enjoying this weekly series and have not contributed, please consider sharing your response (whether it be for haiku or tanka) to the three little questions that Nora answered. You must be a published poet to participate.

8 comments:

Pamela A. Babusci said...

nora, my dear friend,
so happy to see you here
at tobacco road. enjoyed
your haiku! love, pamela

Mark Sohl said...

Nora is the best.

marty45 said...

Hello fellow Georgian I enjoy your writing keep up the good work : )

Magyar said...

Oooo Nora,
Wonderful! As always! _m

John McDonald said...

great to see you here Nora well done in all your endeavours
john

Unknown said...

you wrote "graveside," within 4 words. The poem is perfect Nora!
I cannot tell you how happy I am for you.

Always,

Gene

Area 17 said...

Glad to see you here Nora!

Appreciated all the haiku, and fully concur with Gene's comments too.

all my best,

Alan
With Words
.

Jessie Carty said...

the haikus you selected are just excellent. the emotion in the 1st and 3rd are just palpable!