Sunday, February 7, 2010

Yu Chang - Three Questions


Yu Chang resides with his family in Schenectady, NY. Since 2001 he has been editor of the biannual anthology of haiku and senryu, Upstate Dim Sum (www.upstatedimsum.com). His first collection of poems, seeds, is now available from Red Moon Press.



1) Why do you write haiku?

I don't really know. All I can say is that I like the feeling I get when I write haiku: life is free and simple; I can put mud on my face and laugh at the same time. Maybe that's why I am always looking forward with pleasure to our Upstate Dim Sum monthly haiku meetings.


2) What other poetry forms do you enjoy?

I also enjoy dabbling in haibun, haiga, and renku.


3) Of the many wonderful haiku you've written, what do you consider to be your top three?


Today's choices:


new in town
the scent
of unknown flowers

(1999 Henderson Award)




old passport
the tug
of my father's smile

(Upstate Dim Sum 2001/II)




different pace
at the water's edge
the sandpiper and I

(Acorn 2004)



Thank you so much, Curtis, for doing the series.

Happy New Year!

Yu



If you've been enjoying this weekly series and have not contributed, please consider sharing your response (whether it be for haiku or tanka) to the three little questions that Yu answered. You must be a published poet to participate.