Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sad news - Paul O. Williams

Paul O. WilliamsI have some very sad news for you today. Paul O. Williams passed away on Tuesday, June 2nd. Please keep the Williams family in your thoughts and prayers. All I know at this time is that he had an aortic dissection.

I had the pleasure of meeting Paul at Haiku North America 2007 in Winston-Salem. We composed a rengay during a workshop conducted by Garry Gay. I had never written in the form and was a little nervous. I mentioned my apprehension to Paul MacNeil who said, "You've got Paul as a partner; you're in good hands." He was right.

Paul O. Williams put my mind at ease and, before the workshop was over, we penned our rengay. I offer it here as a tribute to my partner and friend.


Untitled

by: Curtis Dunlap & Paul O. Williams

(Composed on August 18, 2007 at Haiku North America 2007 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.)

river sand sifting
under our feet—
summer begins

election day soon
his district not at all sure

the days grow shorter—
sunlight undulating
under the bridge

deadheading day lilies
each morning

new ones bloom


from hand-to-hand sharing
an ice cream cone

new generation
of fruit flies

in the compost heap



Paul and I corresponded two or three times a month. He was a frequent visitor to Tobacco Road, occasionally offering suggestions. Paul is the reason that you now see a picture of the poet along with Haiku - Three Questions. He enjoyed seeing the people he was reading about.

We will miss you, Paul.